20 December, 2008

Here's to dressing up to get down

I happen to live in a city that's, let me say, not the trendiest. That's fine. Trends are expensive and rendered irrelevant in a year...or less. But nevertheless, it's a city that's growing (slowly). Restaurants are easily the most popular business to open, it seems. What's also a trend here is the nightclubs. Club owners have often tried to give the people of this city a little elegance for a nightspot selection. Clubs have come in, decorated beautifully, only to have arrogant citizens refuse to adhere to dress codes or decent behavior. What starts as a place where girls wear dresses and men were trousers devolves into a spot where boys in shorts down to the mid-calf and coordinating sneakers rock side-to-side to Wrangler and questionable stain and grime covered boot wearing, rebel-flag toting young men. Never a good situation. The clientele that yearned and finally got that sophisticated nightspot are yet again forced to leave the city limits to escape the thuggery and skankiness.
Having said that, last night the future Mrs. Hosten and I joined some associates at a new local club, Cloud 9. Thus far I have nothing but positive comments for the atmosphere, decor and club-goers there. Lots of people gave it a shot at getting dressed to come out. It's quite refreshing to be in an environment where people give a damn. The club owners did an incredible job decorating the interior and really emphasizing that the place is about class. I personally like want my $8 drink out of a glass.
That said, I hope for the best with Cloud 9. It's my second outing there and I'm likely to return...Here's to Cloud 9.

No comments: