03 December, 2008

Recession Shopping

So we're officially in a recession, so the Feds say. I'm sure you weren't previously aware. I'm hearing this term pop up from every major fashion media outlet: recession shopping. Apparently ways to save money include not spending it (Serious!); going to clearance racks; and discount stores. Hmmm. Again, hmmm. Wasn't that obvious all this time? Perhaps not.
 I guess I've been "recession shopping" for the better part of my adult life. Not spending a ton of money really is quite easy (and you can still look great!). Here are some of my lifestyle shopping tips, because saving money is always positive.
1. Clearance racks. Style isn't about what a magazine said was in seven months ago, it's about what works for your body type, personality and lifestyle. I love reading GQ, but of course it's beholden to advertisers (which aren't giving up that much these days). Bypassing regular-priced items and heading to clearance is a great way to not put out so much cash at the register. Gap always has clearance items but, Gap covers the basics. Why not pick up a classic crewneck sweater in a neutral color or tone? 

2. Discount retailers. TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's are just a few of the spots to pick up deals all the time.
3. Consignment shopping. My fiance and I love it! She's picked up some really gorgeous basics from St. John and not so basic pieces from Jean-Paul Gaultier. I found a great pin-striped charcoal, 3-piece suit. Yes, 3-piece is all over the mags right now but, it's also classic. Think Steve McQueen in the Thomas Crown Affair or Mr. Sean Connery in Goldfinger.
4. Shop on the weekends!!! Having worked in retail, sale and clearance items are further reduced on weekends. If you squeeze in on a Thursday night, you may even find the associates putting up sale signs. Good sales clerks will honor the discount even if it's not technically Friday.

When I think up some more tips or ask my better half, I'll come back by.

Until then...
K

No comments: