03 December, 2008

Quantum of Solace

I saw Quantum of Solace on opening day...by myself...in the afternoon. Normally, this would sounds creepy but, I was getting some work done on the car and the theatre was just across the street. Before the movie, while I was at the service department, I watched Thunderball on my Powerbook. Now, as far as sartorial matters go, a great deal can be learned from two James Bond movies 40 years apart. Both contain 007 in beautifully cut dinner jackets and suits. Mr. Connery's Bond isn't as dark as Craig interpretation and this is echoed in the wardrobe. Connery had various tones in black and neutrals like brown. His trousers were cut with less of a break and the bow tie was slimmer; fitting for the times. Craig's era is very contemporary, yet timeless in the same moment. The suit of the suits of both eras are slim, but not skinny. If anything, the quality of the equipment renders Craig's wardrobe a bit sharper but, that's a technology thing. Craig sticks to black, blue and white throughout the movie but it's done in a way that makes a man say, "I wanna look like that guy." He wears the suits effortlessly. He proves, as designer Tom Ford said, that basic isn't boring, it's classic. I say, take a cue from Bond's selective color palette. Those classics will never die.

Until...
K

No comments: